Great Expectations

What I seek as a writer:
1. That I enjoy writing.
2. That I enjoy my writing.
3. That others enjoy my writing.
4. That I be able to live off my writing.

Somewhere between 2 and 3 is where reality bumps into great expectations.

If I don't have 1 and 2, I might as well give up writing. But I do. I enjoy writing. And I intensely enjoy reading my own writing. The bridge from 2 to 3 lies in a change of medium, I believe. The internet is not a place to search for fame and appreciation. You, I, need to get published in print. In 2007, I pledge to do whatever it takes to get immortalised on paper. This bridge might lay the foundation for the next bridge between 3 and 4. I'm convinced that I can live off my writing. All I need to do is convince a publisher.

What brought about this introspection was that this is the last day of 2006. I was thinking about where my life is headed. What's my career? I make money off the internet. Enough to live off it. But it's not what I want to do. What I want to do, what I need to do, is write, in print - An ink stained wretch.

It hit me, rather hard, that I really am no good at anything else. I will never make it big in anything except writing. Because I love to write, and it's the only thing I'm good at. I realize that I can bear the burden of being a failed writer, but I won't be able to live with not being a writer. So, my resolution for 2007, with great expectations, is to roll the dice, and gamble my future, on being and becoming a full-fledged writer. And let the chips fall where they may.

No comments: