Seven Things the CIO Should Know About Telecommuting

Esther Schindler has a mega epic on telecommuting in CIO.com.
"Telecommuters also need to adopt techniques for working at home, both to keep their sanity and to move their career along."

True that. But I think I lost my sanity a couple of decades before I became a freelancer. Anyway...It's a pretty good read, though I ddn't make it past Step 1. Why people break up articles into multiple pages, I will never know. For one, you lose a lot of visitors ( like me ), who have no interest in further clicking. Second, you waste a heck of a lot of bandwidth, and time, reloading the subsequent pages ( seven in this case ). Why not just make it one big page. Scrolling down is easier than clicking and clicking and clicking..... How many people read all seven steps? I'm guessing very few. How many more would have scrolled down and read the entire article if it was one big page? Uh....Not many, I guess. Bulleting points and quotes and facts is all fine, but where's the humor? Without humor, a web page is a dead pond, just so much more junk. Note to Esther Schindler - Get a sense of humor. It's on sale for $9.95 on eBay. Discount sale!

In other news, The Palladium Times has an article advising telecommuters to get a postage meter??
Update : If the link doesn't work, it's probably cause they're hiding the page, being ashamed of peddling a postage meter. And here's the proof. Don't ask why I was searching for postage meters....

In other peddling, citizen journalism aggregator Groundreport.com is touting their $1000 contest for best freelance news report - which went to Desi Zavatta Musolino, from Italy, who posted a news story about a naked tourist who crawled into a fountain.

3 comments:

Esther Schindler said...

Actually, statistically speaking, most people *did* read every page. And if you really really hate to read articles broken up, you can always view the print view. --Esther

Peeling said...

Uh....Ok. What about the sense of humor? Esther, like I said, I like the article. It's full of great facts and all. But the fact that you got pissed off with my comments on your article shows that you need to lighten up. You're a good writer. Now start enjoying your work.

Anonymous said...

While I agree with your logic about 'scrolling better than clicking', one reason why Web portals break articles into multiple pages is that with each new page opened, they get to fetch a new advertisement to display on that new page. Meaning more revenues earned. After all, how else will they recover costs and also make some profits to pay their bills?