Hotelmare On Imperial Beach

Imperial Beach, it seems, is imperial for more than one reason. This impossibly beautiful beach front strip of land has no use for travelers. Or maybe it was just me. While hotels nationwide are struggling with dropping occupancy rates, Imperial Beach, just off San Diego, has only a handful of lodgings, and half of those are trash.

Don't get me wrong. For starters, of all the beaches I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot), Imperial Beach is probably the most scenic one ever. Secondly, I hate doing negative reviews. Usually, I just let it slide. But this was a bit too much - It was a hotelmare. I could just have booked in at any one of the hundreds of San Diego hotels. But I just wanted to stay at Imperial Beach. Is that too much to ask?

First hotel I went into, it was worse than a dump. Filthy rooms, rude staff and absolutely not worth even the $80 which they charged. I left after 20 minutes, paying a cancellation fee of $10. Next one I went to, it semmed pretty neat and clean and nice, and they didn't have a single room. I asked them if they would have a room the next day, and they said they were booked up well into the fall, and I could maybe try again next year. And with that, the clerk turned his back on me.

Which is when I gave up, and went back to San Diego. There were a couple more which I could have checked out, but after having voluntarily walked out of one, and being rejected out of hand at another one, I really didn't have the heart to face any more hotel heartbreak. I'm not naming names here, cause like I said, I don't do negative reviews. But note to the City of Imperial Beach - Build at least one good frickin' hotel.

No comments: