Bad Internet Journalists! Bad!

I was torn between the current title and this one ' Festival of the cubicles', which refers to Julius Caesar, office holiday parties, drinking, gambling, feasting, masters and slaves swapping roles and "singing naked". You can read the tantalizing tidbits here.

Anyway, there's this great article by Chud.com writer Devin Faraci, which goes a long way in clarifying the roles played by and relationships between online journalists and the print media.
"You know whose names Ryan should be listing? The people who come to junkets and don’t ask questions. The stringers who are sent by big magazines to sit there with a tape recorder and bring back the answers to the questions I asked and then get paid more money for it than I do. I have seen answers to my questions turn up in major magazines and newspapers again and again. I see many print folks at junkets who never speak, and then go back to the newsroom, write up a piece based on my work, and pay off their mortgage." - By Devin Faraci, writing for Chud.com

True. True. A lot of the time, I feel I could do a much better job than most of the bloviators who sit on their perches in the big MSM mags and churn out columns, which, if written by me, would probably be greeted with hoots of derision. I mean, other than the real reporting articles which contain interviews and facts assembled through 'real' journalism, the opinion columns are basically a big pile of rubbish.

I urge Devin Faraci and other like-minded internet journalists to stage a putsch and take over the print media jobs. If these bloviators in the MSM start feeling the rug being pulled out from under their feet, that would accomplish two things. More respect for internet journalism and better columns by the print media, who will be forced to do some real work, to keep their jobs. Sad part is, in order to do this, a few good people will have to quit internet journalism and get print media jobs. But I'm sure they'll be willing to sacrifice themselves and get a job in Time or the NY Post, for the betterment of internet journalism.

No comments: