News roundup 9th Dec

The Australian has an article about what famous writers read and recommend. the writers include Alan Hollinghurst, Geraldine Brooks, Lionel Shriver, John Banville, Kate Grenville, Delia Falconer, Peter Rose, Nicolas Rothwell, Michelle de Kretser, Peter Corris, Carmen Callil, Sebastian Barry, Debra Adelaide, Frank Moorhouse, Venero Armanno, Marion Halligan, Peter Temple, Mandy Sayer and Nick Earls.

Why did I list all these writers, none of whose books I have ever read, and very few of whom I have even heard of? It's not for you. It's for the search engines. Um...ok. Moving on....

The Rome News Tribune has details about four writers working in Rome have organized a new literary press. Known as Ninebark Press, the organization is dedicated to publishing innovative and compelling work by both new and established writers. The press is especially interested in literature that crosses boundaries of genre, culture, and aesthetic.

Mark Simon, deputy of Freelance, Texas returns in Mind Your Business: Freelance Rates with some great answers to the question, "How much should I charge for my services?" "Before you shoot yourself in the face and draw the first number that comes into your mind, do a little research. There are a few places here in town where you can find more information"

True that. I've been through a lot of transactions where I'm agonisig over whether the amount I should ask for is too low or too high. If it's too low, I'm a fool and being exploited. Besides, the employer won't appreciate the value. And if I charge too high, he's going to bolt. How exactly do you manage to come up with an exact amount to charge a client? You tell me. I'm leaning towards a fixed price per hour of work, regardless of whatever I do. But it doesn't always work out. Sometimes the employer fixes an amount and says "Take it or leave it". So what do you do? Take it, of course.

One last thing. What on earth is he talking about?

No comments: