Ghost Writers

I am, in effect a ghost writer because I sell articles for money, rather than name. I'd like not to be a ghost. I'd like to be a full warm blooded human writer with both money and name, but the evil publishers have banned me to the realm of the hooded writers who recieve only the money and someone else gets the credit.

It burns my heart when I see my articles credited to some nobody, but if I start taking credit for the work, it is my stomach that will be growling. I'd rather let my heart burn than let my stomach growl.

Hillary Clinton

Source: http://www.happinessonline.org/LoveAndHelpChildren/p12.htm ( That leads to an alleged speech about the allegedly ghost written book by Queen Hillary about how the entire village raised Chelsea. )

Ghost writers come in a few mutant varieties:
1. Writers who get partial credit ( say somewhere in small print, at the bottom, where no one can read it.) This would be the kind of gig where you write an autobiography of a celeb or politician who hasn't read or written anything for the last decade or so.
2. Writers who really do not exist. Meaning the publishing house invents a writer and gives the writer credit for the collective work of a lot of writers.
3. Writers who get no credit whatsoever and are compensated purely in terms of money. This would be the kind of category where myself and other, uh..undernourished artists fall.

Since I'm making a living out of this practise, it would be foolish of me to nitpick about there being an element of deception in ghost writing. Does it hurt anyone? Well...Think about it. I write an article on credit scores or debt management. I do a lot of research and finetune the article so that it really looks like I know what I, meaning the author, Not me..uh, anyway...is talking about. End result? Any visitor to the site where the article now resides is going to be impressed and will be more than willing to pay a few bucks to hire the site owner's services.

My point - Ghost writing for web content is a wholly different ball game than ghost writing a book. Can I live with this deception? Of course. Can I sleep at night? Of course. So don't I look like a hypocrite now after making this post? Yes. Should I have written this post? Nope.

If you're looking for the jobs, you'll have to wait some more. I decided I need to make two posts a day. I'm splittin the jobs and my blather into two seperate posts. So now you know which one you want to read. Right?

1 comment:

Peeling said...

You know, I have a few choice words for #%$#%$#% like you. anybody who mistakenly happens to wander into this page, please ignore the extra cash comment and his link. I haven't yet set up the blog to moderate comments and I can't delete his link. I would have thought there's enough information on this blog for anyone to start earning money without having to spam. Obviously, I was wrong. My mistake.