Hack Writers

I've blogged about paying and non-paying publishers who need articles. Well, I just bumped into one who will give you no money, no linkback, nothing, nada, squat. Anyway, it led me on to look into the term 'hack writers'. And here's where it goes from being mildly funny to gross and hilarious.




Becoming a Writer



"Your embryo journalist or hack writer seldom asks for help of any sort; he is off after agents and editors while his more serious brother-in-arms is suffering the torments of the damned because of his insufficiencies" - Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande



But first things first:

" Why do it? After all Hacks is free, no one gets paid. Well it's an on-line portfolio - a showcase for good writing from beginners to experienced old hands like passionate filmgoer Alex Grant who used to write for Variety. That's the beauty of Hackwriters, you never know who might be reading it. Editor's really are looking for new writers. (I guess we're becoming a low-rent Reuters) Need a writer in India, USA, Australia, Japan, China? We've got em"
- www.hackwriters.com

You know, the way they say it, I'm kinda, sorta thinking that it might be cool if you were to write a piece and they published it....

On to hack writers. Here's what wikipedia has to say about hack writers.
"A hack writer is a writer for hire, paid to express others' thoughts or opinions in felicitous verbiage, often in the form of political pamphlets."

OMG! I had no idea I was a hack writer. Are you a hack writer? Find out here.

Well, I did warn you it was going to be gross and hilarious. And there's lots more crazy cookies in this particular cookie jar.

Here's one which says "A Hack is to a period what an Embryonic writer is to a comma and a Yearner is to a dash."
Hmmm....

Finally, if you want to test your knowledge about writers and hack writers, click here.

After going through all these links, I have come to a very profound conclusion. I am not a nutcase. I am a hack writer.

No comments: